1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. 7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. 8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. 9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel. 10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. 11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.
We, in the church, have been called to be set-apart. Yet, in the following areas we may have joined the kings of the earth and their rulers against the LORD:Acceptance of profanity in common speech:
- “Wear the damn mask.” Maryland Governor Larry Hogan
- “Kick his ass.” President Jimmy Carter stating what he would do in the Democratic primary if opposed by Senator Teddy Kennedy.
- “To hell with __” commonly used and accepted phrase.
- Exclamations of: Jesus Christ, Jesus, Christ, God, Oh my God or OMG, Lordy, My Lord, etcetera.
- Despising the covenant of marriage: Making matrimony unholy by acceptance of worldly practices regarding God’s institution during the engagement period, accepting societies rapidly changing standards regarding the practice of couples living together without the benefit or marriage, the practice of serial marriages.
- Despising the Sabbath by disregard if God’s guides for observance, and thus making it unholy and removing our protections, Deuteronomy 5:14, Isaiah 58:13, Exodus 35:2, Exodus 31:14-17.
- Working on the Sabbath and not resting.
- Setting aside a day other than the seventh day of the week to be honored as the Sabbath.
- Excluding God’s provision of rest from 6 days of work from the concept of the Sabbath day.
- Joining the ungodly in their use of profane language in everyday speech.
But we can begin to change . .
2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV) 14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.